Most-played songs by Newcastle artists revealed in ‘People's Chart’ of the century
The top 20 tracks by music artists from Newcastle most played in public since the year 2000 are revealed in an exclusive chart by PPL.
PPL licenses the playing of recorded music on radio, television and public places across the UK - and analysed its exclusive data to find out the most popular Newcastle artists of the 21st century so far.
1) Every Breath You Take - The Police
2) Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This) - Eurythmics
3) There Must Be An Angel (Playing With My Heart) - Eurythmics
4) Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic - The Police
5) Fight For This Love - Cheryl Cole
6) Sultans of Swing - Dire Straits
7) Parachute - Cheryl Cole
8) Ocean Drive - Lighthouse Family
9) Lifted - Lighthouse Family
10) Fields of Gold - Sting
11) Let's Stick Together - Bryan Ferry
12) Message In A Bottle - The Police
13) The House Of The Rising Sun - The Animals
14) Walk Of Life - Dire Straits
15) High - Lighthouse Family
16) Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves - Eurythmics
17) Thorn In My Side - Eurythmics
18) Dance Away - Roxy Music
19) Don't Stand So Close To Me - The Police
20) Money For Nothing - Dire Straits
Sting and The Police not only top the chart, but between the band and the solo artist - real name Gordon Sumner - take the most spots (five) in the chart. Newcastle's Dave Stewart takes four places with The Eurythmics, while Dire Straits and The Lighthouse Family take three places each.
While the Eighties giants take up the majority of the chart, music from this decade is represented twice by Cheryl Cole and the sixties is represented by The Animals with their evergreen classic The House of the Rising Sun.
PPL is the UK-based music licensing company which licenses recorded music for broadcast, online and public performance use.
Commenting on the chart, Music Producer and PPL Board Member, Steve Levine, said: "The top twenty most played Newcastle songs reads like a definitive list of British music let alone songs that only hail from Newcastle! Whilst Newcastle is often overlooked by Manchester or Liverpool, this List is a testament to the city's diversity and importance in the history of British music. An amazing culture that can create and produce such a wide range of most played songs; Bryan Ferry from the 70's through to modern day artists including Cheryl Cole, and don't get me started on all the new indie talent that will secure the next generation"
PPL staff will be attending the Generator music conference on 22 November to talk to those involved in the music industry and also within the wider Newcastle business community about the legalities and benefits of music licensing.